Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Beans and Aloo

Sindhi cooking normally requires a lot of garlic,ginger,onions and tomatos. Sometimes I crave for simple food ,which does not require all these ingridients.

We were recently visiting our friends in Schnectaty NY, over the columbus day weekend. We had a wonderful time driving to Berkshire with them,the fall colors were still looking very vibrant even though many trees on that stretch have shed their leaves. We ate  lunch at the famous hair Pin Turn resturant- Golden eagle in North Adams MA. I ordered the Ocean catch sandwich with the haddock  along with a bottle of Pino Grigio,which we all shared.

We got back home to my friends house late and in time for dinner. Pulled out some left overs and my friend made this very simple aloo beans. I loved the sabji as it was very different from what I cook at home. I normally use lot of ginger,garlic,and tomatos.

 So today I followed my friends recipe and made the simple & yet very yummy aloo beans at home for lunch. My daughter loved it :) we ate this with garam roti and simple jeere wala raita.





Ingridients :

Beans 500 gms
2 big potatos
2 inch piece of ginger

salt acc: to taste
corriander powder : 2 tsp
chilly powder: 1 tsp
turmeric : 1/2 tsp
garam masala: 1/4 tsp

Method:

wash& chop the beans and put them in a glass bowl with very little water and stick them in the microvave for 6 minutes.They should be nice and tender.

Boil the potatos in the microvave till they are all done. I normally poke them with a knife,this was they get cooked evenly and in much less time.

Now after they have cooled down,cut the boiled potato . I keep the pieces big,so I will normally cut one potato into six pieces.

Peel & chop the ginger to very tiny pieces.

Take a non-stick pan or aluminium kadai and add 2 tbsp of oil. When the oil is hot add a pinch of asfotedia along with chopped pieces of ginger. Add all the dry spices and quickly add the boiled beans and chopped potatos and stir with a flat spatula gently making sure you do not break the boiled potato.

Cover it for 2 to 3 minutes .The beans and aloo will absorb all the dry spices. Enjoy it with hot rotis's/phulka's and raita.






The beans in this preparation will retain their green color.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You :) For visiting my blog and writing your comments. Your comments are a constant source of inspiration. I look forward to them. So keep reading & writing .