Saturday, October 16, 2010

kele ke Kofte/Raw banana Patties in gravy

I always disliked  preparing Kofta's/Patties ,I somehow had the impression it is very cumbersome and the number of steps involved in the recipes kept me OFF Kofta's/Patties. I remember making Koftas came so naturally to my Bhabi,I always admired her ease with koftas :) I loved eating Malai kofta prepared by her:)

I had not so long ago hosted a pot-luck at my house.One of our friend's offered to bring in Kele Ka kofta. I still very distinctly remember the taste and the color-It was absolutely the BEST !!! I had to take the recipe, which I did,but every time I walked the grocery store and picked my vegetables, I would stand a good 2-3 minutes before the raw banana's, take the bunch ,put it in the cart and then on an after thought would  remove it from the cart and put it back in its spot . Mind You- I did this a good number of times,till probably some people around me actually must have thought I had lost it :) I gave up and always came back without the raw bananas until yesterday. Yippee!!!



Bhabi this one is specially for you,and my dear future readers ( I am hoping some day some one will be reading my blog) I also want to mention that making kofta's is not at all cumbersome,I quite enjoyed myself. Turned on my favorite songs on the ipod and  enjoyed this creation. I normally do not take pictures at every step of the preparation but for this one I changed the rules:) enjoy!

Ingredients:
Raw Bananas: 6
Medium Sized Onions: 3 Grated
Tomato's : 2 medium or canned
Ginger : 1 tbsp paste
garlic: 1 tbsp paste
green chilly: 2
Oil : 2 tbsp

Dry Masalas :
Salt: 1 tsp
Turmeric :1/4 tsp
Coriander Powder : 1tsp
10 peppercorns,10 cloves, seeds of 4 green cardamoms (roasted and pounded) 1 inch of cinnamon stick.
A pinch of grated nutmeg/Jaiphal
Cilantro for garnish

Method:
Pressure cook the bananas in a pressure cooker,with 1 glass of water for 4-7 minutes.
Peel the skin and mash them well.

Add salt to this along with half roasted and pounded garam masala(save the other half for the gravy)  Mix 2 tbsp of grated onion to this.Add fine chopped green chilly. Mix well and make small patties.


Take a frying pan and heat oil for deep frying the patties. When the oil is hot fry the patties till golden brown.Put them on a paper towel.         

Method for gravy;

Take a heavy bottomed pan and add 2tbsp oil when hot add grated onion and fry the onion to caramelize it. Onions are naturally sweet and caramelizing them bring out the sweetness. I normally let the onions stick to the bottom, and then add 2 tbsp of water to get a rich golden brown color. When you have the desired color add paste of ginger and garlic cook for a couple minutes and then add pureed tomato's. You can run them in the food processor. Add all the dry spices and cook for 5 minutes till you get a nice aroma and a rich red color. Turn the flame off. you can add the koftas/patties when you are ready to serve. Garnish with cilantro and love to your loved ones:)
Enjoy !!! Please write to me with your comments !


Stages of caramelizing onion till it gets the desired color


Let it stick to the bottom and keep adding a tbsp of water


This is the color after adding the tomato's





3 comments:

  1. This is terrific! It makes me want to eat the kele ke kofte RIGHT NOW! I would love to know a little bit about the history or culture of each of the dishes that you prepare. And eventually, talk your husband into filming the preparation for a youtube link!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANKS A LOT IT REALLY MADE ME SENTIMENTAL N I JUST CULDNT STOP MYSELF FROM ROLLING DOWN THE TEARS.
    I M GNG TO TRY IT N LET U KNW AS SOON AS POSSIBLE
    LOV

    ReplyDelete

Thank You :) For visiting my blog and writing your comments. Your comments are a constant source of inspiration. I look forward to them. So keep reading & writing .