I am taking myself by surprise :0 It is the third day in a row of flipping pages of the Hershey's Classic Recipes and it does not end there I actually set out to try the third recipe in a row today . Yay !!!I am super proud of meself:)
This one I was a little reluctant as it was not an illustrated recipe,I am a very visual person and like to know what the final outcome would look like...I took a chance on this one because it had my favorite ingredients-Chocolate with coconut....Irresistible to say the least !!! I am terribly happy with the outcome and I will not let you down because I have the illustrated version for you :)
I am mostly ,"unconsciously" , conscious when it comes to handling chocolate and anything decadent and loaded with richness,I will make some healthy changes just to take away the guilt. So for this recipe I substituted Hershey's for organic chocolate...lol Do you think I could call it one of my pet peeves :0?
Makes about 4 dozen
Note: For best results,do not double this recipe
1. 3 bars( 1 ounce each) Hershey's unsweetened baking Chocolate
2. 1/4 cup ( 1/2 stick )butter
3.1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk(not evaporated milk)
4. 3/4 cup granulated sugar
5. 1/4 cup water
5. 1 tbsp light corn syrup
6. 1tsp vanilla extract
7. 2 cups MOUNDS sweetened coconut flakes
8. 1 cup chopped nuts
1. Melt chocolate and butter in large heavy saucepan over very low heat. Add sweetened condensed milk; stir to blend. Remove from heat.
2. stir together granulated sugar,water and corn syrup in small saucepan. cook over medium heat,stirring constantly,until sugar is dissolved.Cook,without stirring,until mixture reaches 250 degree f on candy thermometer or until small amount of syrup,when dropped into very cold water,forms a firm ball which does not flatten when removed from water.(bulb of candy thermometer should not rest on bottom of saucepan.) remove from heat; stir into chocolate mixture.Add vanilla,coconut and nuts; stir until well blended.
3. Refrigerate about 30 minutes or until firm enough to handle.shape into 1 inch balls; roll in powdered sugar.store tightly covered in cool,dry place and i,e in case there is any left to store:)