Sunday, November 14, 2010

Chocolate Coconut Balls

I am taking myself by surprise :0 It is the third day in  a row of flipping pages of the Hershey's Classic Recipes and it does not end there I  actually set out to try the third recipe  in a row today  . Yay !!!I am super proud of meself:)

This one I was a little reluctant as it was not an illustrated recipe,I am a very visual person and like to know what the final outcome would look like...I took a chance on this one because it had my favorite ingredients-Chocolate with coconut....Irresistible to say the least !!! I am terribly happy with the outcome and I will not let you down because I have the illustrated version for you :)

I am mostly ,"unconsciously" , conscious when it comes to handling chocolate and anything decadent and loaded with richness,I  will make some healthy changes just to take away the guilt. So for this recipe I substituted Hershey's for organic chocolate...lol Do you think I could call it one of my pet peeves :0?








Makes about 4 dozen
Note: For best results,do not double this recipe


Ingredients:

1. 3 bars( 1 ounce each) Hershey's unsweetened baking Chocolate
2. 1/4 cup ( 1/2  stick )butter
3.1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk(not evaporated milk)
4. 3/4 cup granulated sugar
5. 1/4 cup water
5. 1 tbsp light corn syrup
6. 1tsp vanilla extract
7. 2 cups MOUNDS sweetened coconut flakes
8. 1 cup chopped nuts

Powdered sugar.

Method:
1. Melt chocolate and butter in large heavy saucepan over very low heat. Add sweetened condensed milk; stir to blend. Remove from heat.

2. stir together granulated sugar,water and corn syrup in small saucepan. cook over medium heat,stirring constantly,until sugar is dissolved.Cook,without stirring,until mixture reaches 250 degree f on candy thermometer or until small amount of syrup,when dropped into very cold water,forms a firm ball which does not flatten when removed from water.(bulb of candy thermometer should not rest on bottom of saucepan.) remove from heat; stir into chocolate mixture.Add vanilla,coconut and nuts; stir until well blended.

3. Refrigerate about 30 minutes or until firm enough to handle.shape into 1 inch balls; roll in powdered sugar.store tightly covered in cool,dry place and i,e in case there is any left to store:)


8 comments:

  1. Wow, Kavita-you're going all the way with the Hershey's. These chocolate coconut balls look so yumm. They would be perfect, and festive for the holidays!

    Comee to my blog...you may not have noticed it, but you are also on my list for an award. Come pick it up, and pay it forward to 15 people!
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very tempting balls that also made with chocolate, looks delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  3. iam craving for chocolates now!!

    Btw, liked reading about you in your blogger profile. in tamil too, kavitha means poem..

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh!!! thats one mouthwatering prep!!! yummy yumm!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tempting chocolate coconut balls,delicious and congrats on the award Kavita.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tempting chocolate balls..so yum,love addition of coconut.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohhhh, i died and went to chocolate heaven
    i so love your chocolate coconut balls

    ReplyDelete

Thank You :) For visiting my blog and writing your comments. Your comments are a constant source of inspiration. I look forward to them. So keep reading & writing .