Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Bread Rolls with potato stuffing

I am thinking aloud about old  school days when I could eat bread rolls,samosas,aloo bondas to my hearts content without  having to worry about love handles ( fat  deposit on ones waistline)When ,"calorie count"was an alien concept  and eating more was,"IN" speaking of skinny-The fad was to have some jiggle here and there;) It was considered the sign of prosperity. I remember as kids we would travel to Pune,India to meet up with our aunts & uncles once every year. After the customary greetings with my parents at the railway station,my uncle & aunts would turn to us (me & my siblings)and exclaim in bewilderment," look at you-you look so weak,someone has to just blow in your face & you would fall like a twig" Exasperated we would mutter under our breadth. We dreaded the outcome-Dad would now give us the deworming tablets- arghhh !!! Hopeful that we would get rid of the underlying problem and look more healthy(prosperous) .
That was bygone era, and  here I am-Constantly fighting with the weight :)

Here's to old times sake :)



Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Makes: 8

Ingredients:
Potato: 2 large Idaho boiled and mashed
Tomato: 1 medium
peas: 2 tbsp
Cilantro: chopped 2 tbsp
green Chilly: 2 chopped
Panch phorun /fennel,fenugreek,mustard,nigella seeds 1 tsp
Salt: 1 tsp
Turmeric: 1/8 tsp
Red Pepper: 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala: 1/4 tsp
Chat Masala: 1 tsp
Anardana powder: 1/4 tsp / dried pomegranate powder
Bread slices: 8
Oil: 2 tbsp
Oil: for deep frying

Method:

Take a kadai. Heat 2 tbsp oil,when hot add the panch phorun,when it starts to splutter add chopped tomato and cook till you see oil on the edges. Now add salt turmeric,garam masala,red pepper,chat masala and anardana powder. Cook for couple minutes and add the mashed potato and along with that green chilly and peas. Mix well and let it cool.

Meanwhile take the bread slice,you can remove the edges if you like.Now dip the bread in water and instantly remove it.Press it between the palm of your hands and remove the excess water. Now add a spoonful of potato mix and fold the bread from both ends and cover the mix with the bread.Like this:




Now deep fry these bread rolls in very hot oil till golden brown. Serve with green chutney or tamarind & date chutney :) Enjoy hot !!!

Note: I was running out of cilantro and peas so you will not see nay greens in these bread rolls.


Bread rolls make an excellent evening snack with tea or breakfast .

8 comments:

  1. Hey Kavita, I love these bread rolls...i remember my mom preparing it for breakfast or as a snack....looks yum and delicious.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks gorgoeus .. perfect tea time snack for this rainy season

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bread rolls look crisp and tempting!Yum!Yum!

    simplehomefood.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kavitha,

    I have also posted bread rolls..Love them..Have already added you to my blog roll...Check it out...:)

    Dr.Sameena@

    http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kavita, you always have the most delicious, wonderful recipes on your blog. I've never seen nor heard of these but they sounds so delicious! I love all the different spices you use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Mom used to make these too for our after school snack..we used to love it..your post reminded me to make this again!

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi kavitha,

    yummy bread rolls.. looks gr8!

    ReplyDelete

Thank You :) For visiting my blog and writing your comments. Your comments are a constant source of inspiration. I look forward to them. So keep reading & writing .